- Boston University Law School, L.L.M.-1979
- Boston College Law School, J.D. 1973
- Boston College, BA., Mathematics. 1970
- Since 1981 sole proprietor of small Boston law firm specializing in civil litigation. Experience includes trials in all Massachusetts, State and Federal Courts, including Superior Court. District Court, Juvenile Court, Probate Court, Land Court, Housing Court, Appellate Tax Board, Department of Industrial Accidents, Federal District Court, U.S. Tax Court, US Bankruptcy Court.
- Have tried hundreds of cases and conducted hundreds of depositions adducing testimony from all types of lay witnesses and experts including, medical, accounting, real estate, assessors, appraisers, architects, engineers, attorneys, etc.
- Significant experience in trial of all civil matters, specializing in negligence, professional liabilty, and contract actions; institutional clients include banks, insurance companies, and government entities; trial and settlement of numerous cases referred by other non-litigation attorneys.
- Experienced in matters involving the Department of Industrial Accidents, formerly known as the industrial accident board, on behalf of employees and self-insurers, state and federal court and appellate work for adjusters for self insured municipalities and institutions in the workers’ compensation area.
- Appearances before local and state boards, including zoning, licensing, and planning boards, boards of health, conservation commissions and Alcoholic Beverage Control Commission.
- Preparation of appellate briefs and/or arguing in excess of 30 cases before Massachusetts and Federal Appellate Courts.
- Formerly Litigation counsel for City of Marlborough and its boards in many complex and routine superior court cases in the tenure of Mayors Hogan, Mauro and Hunt.
MUNICIPAL EXPERIENCE 1976-1978
- Member Yarmouth Zoning Board of Appeals, responsible for writing many decisions of a busy board during period of rapid growth.
SAMPLE MUNICIPAL CLIENTS/CASES 1982-present
- Special Town Attorney for the Town of Watertown’s Zoning Boards of Appeals to represent the Zoning Board of Appeals in successful Superior Court trial and thereafter at Appeals Court in a matter entitled Peter Boyer, Town Manager v. Watertown Board of Appeals.
- Counsel for Town of Hull in Hull v. Tong 14 Mass. App. Ct. 710, 442 NE2d 427.
- Counsel for Plaintiff in Tanner v. Belmont Board of Appeals 27 Mass. App. CT, 1181, 541 NE2d 576, a matter upon which Plaintiff operated for several years under injunction before obtaining rehearing and permits in consequence of successful Superior Court Trial.
- Counsel for Plaintiff in Boyd. v. Town of Watertown, 1988 Middlesex Superior Court matter, resulting in recovery for Plaintiff after trial on a nuisance theory in excess of the statutory cap set by M.G.L. Chapter 258.
- Familiar with Land Court tax title statutes and procedures including cases.
- Experience in M.G.L. Ch. 268A, Conflict of Interest Law (related experience as counsel for lawyers in front of the Board of Bar Overseers and defending legal malpractice claims).
- Extensive experience with land use regulation; State building code; public contracts, bidding, hearings and litigation relevant thereto; civil service laws and collective bargaining.
- 1975-1978 Counsel for Cape Cod Bank & Trust Company; including matters relating to buildings and expansion of 14 branches in various towns in Barnstable County.
- 1973-1975 – Price Waterhouse, Boston, MA; knowledge of state and local taxation, municipal accounting.
- 1989-2006- Associated with James Golden, Jr., and James Agoritsas, former and present City solicitor, City of Marlboro on an ad hoc basis, involving many sensitive municipal law matters in Superior Court during tenures of Mayors Hogan, Mauro, and Hunt.
ACTIVITIES AND MEMBERSHIPS:
- Admitted Massachusetts Bar – 1973; Resides Watertown; Married, Four adult children; Born October 1948: Former resident of Belmont and Yarmouth, Certified Public Accountant. Massachusetts.
- Lecturer on legal business and tax topics, to various business and school groups; teaches graduate students at Boston College.
- Significant criminal trial experience in District Court.
- Support and involvement with youth and outreach programs in the communities of Watertown, Belmont, Arlington and Yarmouth. Former Coach and official of youth basketball, CYO basketball, summer Boston basketball and other sports; involvement with St. Luke’s Parish in Watertown/Belmont/Waltham area, St. Agnes’ Fidelity House, Arlington, St Pius X Parish, So. Yarmouth, and the Paulist Center in Boston.
Pleadings and Briefs available from hundreds of other cases alluded to in résumés. For instance;
- Obtained Massachusetts Appeals Court reversal and Judgment for condominium purchaser in a rising market as appellate counsel in Poilluci v. Ryan 88P845 (Middlesex Superior 86-1548) based upon a Celluci v. Sun Oil argument.
- Successfully defended three superior court suits against purported vendors where plaintiffs failed to prove among other things that they were ready willing and able.
- Connearney v. Kapatoes M/S 93-1988 (upheld on appeal 95P1183)
- Gianattsis v. Johnson E/S95-2621 (appeal dismissed 97P)
- Bourque v. Allen M/S91-473 19997 WL 625452 (Mass. Super.)